Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial

turn away
from broken branches
broken selves
a secret voice says (oh beautiful woman
on a pedestal breathing blue light):

an interior land of smooth stones
a field of running water
(an-other world) a-waits you

oh see, a sea-
blue light calls

disappointment comes to all 
species:
human drones, birds fly away, dogs die,
the elegance of murdered elephants
and bloody dolphins ritually
broken hearts all

DU fills the desert war!

so
tonight I shall nurse a wolf
ride a different horse
beyond the gate

children turn into raging
teenagers
leaving curly hair
holding our necks

a poisoned earth

my father hated my mother
yet they marched for peace
     and freedom

and drank from the negroes' only water
fountain

I was a seething teenager (too)
  (if only I could hold my parents now)
wrap my arms around their haifa
and paris
oh tour eiffel

oh it’s always too much of a
damn bother!
To be kind
To stay close

a german friend says:
don't be so broken
you're such a dreamer
be practical

of course she's right!
look at the germans
they're shutting down nuclear power
plants and putting up solar panels

hello memorial day